St Nicholas Preschool is a community based in North End Portsmouth.
We provide exceptional care and education in a nurturing safe environment for children age 2-4 years old with a recently awarded GOOD OFSTED rating!
Established in 1962 we have provided a community led service for 60 years in the Portsmouth area and believe we must be one of the oldest running childrens service in the city!!!!
We are open Term times Mon-Fri 8.30am to 3pm so email us to secure your place.
COMMUNICATION AND LITERACY
Encouraging the children to talk and listen, through discussions, songs and rhymes to become aware of written symbols then when ready to use written symbols themselves. Also making a wide range of books available for the children to explore.
PERSONAL, EMOTIONAL AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT
Supporting the children to develop confidence, self-respect, learn acceptable ways to express their own feelings and encourage acceptable social behaviour.
At this early stage, the children familiarise themselves with numbers through matching, sorting, counting activities and songs, games and books.
UNDERSTANDING THE WORLD
The children are encouraged to explore man-made and natural materials, learn to observe the features of objects and substances, recognise differences, patterns, similarities to share their ideas with the group all within a safe and stimulating environment.
A range of equipment allows children to develop confidence and enjoyment in the use of their own bodily skills. At the same time children are supported in the development of the fine motor skills, i.e holding pens, pencils and to handle small objects with increasing control and precision.
EXPRESSIVE ARTS AND DESIGN
With a wide range of materials, children are encouraged to express their own ideas. We are regular users of the craft bank ( a bank of interesting materials discarded by industry) and the children will have the opportunity to use the materials to express their own creative ideas to bring their crafts home to share with family members.
ST NICHOLAS PRESCHOOL AIM
Play, Learn and Grow Together
Our Aim Is
• To promote the development of your child in a parent-involving, community-based Group
• To give a safe, secure and interesting environment
• To ensure all children and families receive equal opportunities
• To work with the parent/carer to ensure each child feels happy, confident and secure within the group. Parents should not feel worried if their child takes a while to settle.
We Offer Your Child
• New friendships, in a fun-filled environment, with children and adults
• Individual care and attention provided by a high ratio of adults to children
• A specially designed programme to provide variety and stimulating activities
• Opportunities for you and your family to be directly involved in the activities of the group and in your own child’s progress